Mosquitoes are the main carriers of diseases like dengue, malaria and viruses like the Zika virus, the West Nile virus and other such viruses. These can be very deadly and many people have succumbed to these diseases and viruses. In fact, mosquitoes have caused more human deaths than any other animal. To protect your home from mosquitoes it is essential to:
- Remove stagnant water: Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water. The female species of mosquitoes are the ones that spread malaria and dengue and the females need water to lay eggs. Hence it is essential to remove all the stagnant water in and around your house. Be informed that mosquitoes require just 10 mm of water to lay eggs, so sanitise your house and surroundings completely or you will be waging a war against mosquitoes when they attack you.
- If you have a lawn or garden ensure that the mosquitoes do not use the plants and shrubs to rest and then attack you at night. Keep the greenery sprayed so that your home is protected.
- Check your garage and ensure that there is no standing water. Remember that mosquitoes require miniscule amount of water to breed and when the garage is attached to the main house then the mosquitoes are bound to enter the house.
- Mosquito screens are available in the market or you can even make them; you can place them on your windows and doors to ensure that the insect does not enter your house. The mosquito screens are actually a good option because it allows fresh air to pass through. Websites like https://hometiptop.com can help you to create the necessary screens.
- If you do not like to place mosquito screens then you have the option of mosquito nets. Mosquito nets over beds, cribs, or even in hammocks ensure that you get a good sleep as the mosquitoes are kept out. A net with 156 holes per square inch is the recommended one.
- You can use naturally occurring substances like citronella and lavender to ward off mosquitoes. You can even burn citronella to keep mosquitoes away. Planting basil, lavender, marigold etc in your garden will help ward off mosquitoes to some extent.
- Try the old fashioned method, i.e., apply mosquito repellent. This is an effective way to keep mosquitoes away. Natural mosquito repellents are also available and you can use them. If your skin is sensitive then it is better not to use anything that needs to be applied on your skin.
- Use fans that have a high speed to keep mosquitoes away from you. Mosquitoes can be pushed away when the speed is high. You can also use air-conditioning to keep mosquitoes away. Though AC’s will not kill mosquitoes they will keep them away because you will keep your doors and windows closed and the mosquitoes will not have a way to enter the house.
- Last but not the least, you can avail the services of a pest control professional. The pest control specialist will not only help you remove the mosquitoes, he will help you to keep your home free from mosquitoes in future too by recommending some simple changes that will ensure that mosquitoes do not enter your home.