The popularity of making your own continues, as people discover the appeal of making something unique. Plus, it can save money and be extremely satisfying.
If you want to learn a new skill, there is plenty of guidance to be found online.
For example, floor cushions and poufs can be expensive but are surprisingly simple and cheap to make.
Floor cushions look particularly stylish on hard surfaces like wood, vinyl or laminate flooring, such as those available from http://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/laminate-flooring. Cushions also add warmth and soften the look of these floor coverings. Here’s how…
• Enough fabric to make two 46cm diameter circles
• One 23cm x 132cm strip of same or contrasting fabric
• 1-1.6m welt cord
• Cotton, foam, or stuffing material of your choice
• Sewing Machine
What to do:
1. Using a template, cut two 46cm circles from the fabric.
2. Line up the welt cord around the edges of the circle, “right” side of the fabric facing up. It helps to line up the rough edge of the cord with the edges of the circle.
3. Using your sewing machine, sew the welt cord to the circle all the way around. Cut off excess cord, and set aside.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other circle.
5. Take the 132cm strip of fabric, turn it on its “wrong “side, and pin it around the right side of one circle, remembering to line up the edges. You will need to gather the material up as you go round to make it fit the circle. When you get to the end, pin the two ends of the strip together.
6. Using your sewing machine, sew all the way around, keeping close to the edge of the welt cord – if you don’t, you’ll end up with a gap. It helps to sew quite slowly, carefully guiding the fabric through the needle.
7. Turn this section inside out and line up the edges with the other circle. Pin the edges together and sew around, leaving an opening for the stuffing. You’ll have to slightly gather the material as you sew round to get the pieces to fit together.
8. With the cover finished, turn the right way round, fill with the stuffing of your choice and sew shut.